Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Quick unstylish update

Gosh, I suddenly have lots of group projects and tutorial homework due. At least that is my excuse for not updating my blog in the last few days. I think I also hit a weird stage emotionally somewhere between adjusting and culture shock (they had a lecture before we left to study abroad about the different stages most people go through). So I've been slightly depressed and haven't felt like writing (its getting much better now). I think the icing on the cake was the huge snowstorm Clemson had...I really wanted to be home for it...like the first time I'd have rather been there than here. But I'd have to trade at least six snowfalls and a snowball fight that involved a Nigerian...and I just couldn't trade that (the same snowball fight included another African opening his flat window and everyone throwing snowballs at him, he then yelled at everyone in jest...too which more snowballs found there way into his flat...very hilarious).
While working on one group project I learned that periods (aka this dot: . ) are not called periods here. Instead the Scottish prefer to think that when they are writing they are going very fast. Thus they call them "Full Stops".
One friend suggested that this is from back in the telegraph era *STOP* When people would end a phrase with a *STOP* *STOP* I wondered if commas are like half stops or yield signs, but they still apparently call them commas. I'm not sure whether I should ask about exclamation points. Who knew that punctuation could be so exciting! Anyway, I must unfortunately be off to do more homework. St. Andrews is the plan for this weekend (hopefully this will include hats and a walk around the course). *FULL STOP*

1 comment:

  1. Good note of the emotional component of the experience. Hope to see more of it in your final ethnographies. (But, yeah - you still have to blog...)

    ReplyDelete