Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 3

The shepherds pie was delicious...after I added some black pepper. It was amazingly filling, I could only eat about half of it before I was totally full and had to dispose of the rest. Yesterday I had my first alcoholic beverage ever. (This is a picture of (in order) me, mike and Simprien, they live on my hall) I chose a 10 year old whiskey that was brewed in the highlands (ordered on the rocks). This so impressed one of the American girls, whom Scott and I were hanging out with at the time, that she commented on how I must have been drinking for a while to like whiskey. I stared at her rather dumbfounded, before looking at Scott who probably would have gone along with it if I had wanted to, then I decided to inform her otherwise.
My roommates(well...those here for a year) and many of their friends stayed up till 6am this morning to say goodbye to one of the foreign exchange students from last semester. He got on the train this morning then fell asleep. He was in our tv area when I got up alseep...apparently he woke up on the train to the announcement system telling him he was back at our station (he rode the train all the way around the loop and ended up back here before waking up), so he missed his flight. Also another hall mate from New Mexico left early this morning...he just decided this wasn't for him and went home. I feel bad because he seemed like a cool guy and I didn't ask him to come hang out with any of us (I'd feel more guilty if he had left his door open so we knew he was here).
Today I finally picked a "pay as you go cell phone plan". everybody should know that I made it two and a half days without a usable cell phone and I felt like a neanderthal the whole time.
Other events from today include an amazing cake that my polish hall mate Simprien (name is horribly misspelled for the time being) made. It is the first food I can remember that has caused me to have to savor it. He said that the staler it is the better. It has something to do with a rich honey flavor that comes out in the aftertaste. Simprien was also the nice roommate who got me a village office key at 7am on the beginning of day two because I had locked myself out of my room when I got up early to go the bathroom and forgot to take my room key with me. I didn't feel like running across campus in my boxers (let alone I had no idea where to run to to solve the problem...so he was a huge blessing). He also showed me how to turn the autolock on my door off to avoid needing him in the future.There was also pub night, all(at least it felt like all) the international students went to a pub in George Square. It is located in a beautiful building that used to be a bank. It was here that I bought and therefor decided I had to drink an ale. I did this in the opposite way I had handled the before mentioned cake. This was a desperate attempt to avoid the bitter aftertaste of the alcohol. I did not realize how badly people must want to get drunk to drink such nasty stuff (the worst part is that it was better than all 3 beers people have let me taste). I also ran into some pretty cool french students who were very pleasant. They are unfortunately only here for three months to improve their English (Perhaps this has something to do with the pleasantness).
Oh I also learned today that the entire city is monitored by camera all day everyday. It's kinda creepy big brother sounding, but on the safe side if someone does something the police can get there within minute ...supposedly. The international student coordinator said that if you want to test the theory to stand and stare at a camera for five minutes and it will wave at you. (I plan to test this soon)

*The pictures are all from inside the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment