Monday, February 9, 2009

I am American, hear me roar!

(Picture is of an art museum in Glasgow)
So I had a weird experience in class today. I was sitting with my group in Value Theories (the class where we talked about the value of a cat). Anyway, we were discussing the love canal incident. The fast version for people who don't know is that a company located near Niagara falls put extremely toxic chemicals into the ground and covered them with clay...years later authorities encouraged the school board to build a school on the property. Soon after the school was built people started noticing trends in higher birth defects and illnesses from the area.
All that to say we were discussing whether or not the companies that sold chemicals to the company that buried them were at all to blame. Which led to us discussing whether the gun seller is responsible for selling the gun (They were very surprised that people could own handguns in the US). Somehow this lead to a discussion on sweatshops. To which I made the comment, "well at least the people have a choice as to whether or no to work in the sweatshop". To which a Scottish Student in my group said something to the effect of "That's a very American way of thinking" I'm pretty sure he meant it offensively, but I took it as a compliment.

Scott and I are going to try to go skiing tomorrow in Glencoe kinda as an early 21st birthday celebration for me...Yea!. For anyone wondering neither of us have class on Tuesday this week. My Birthday is Wednesday, but they(the mountaineering club) are putting together a mountaineering trip at 1 (aka planning out next weekend) and then rock climbing at an indoor facility in the afternoon, both of which I want to be around for.

Oh I also got to meet with Rob. He worked with my Uncle Greg and lives here in Glasgow. He introduced me to this marvelous combination that I would encourage everyone to try. It's bacon (pretty similar to our ham) cranberry sauce and melted brie cheese on panini bread. Delicious! Rob also offered Scott and I tickets to a rangers soccer game (sorry Celtic fans...gotta cheer ranger for now) for the weekend after next. Ever since mountain climbing near Stirling this trip has become a even better. I can't wait for spring to do some backpacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment